Riverview was founded in 1885 on the Alafia River’s north shore. However, in the 1830s settlers arrived on the south side of the river at an area formerly known as “Peru” (pronounced “Pe-Roo”) because Peru was an indigenous name for “straight part of the river”. It wasn’t until the 1940s that Riverview absorbed Peru, and now claims the south side of the Alafia River.
The Riverview name eventually came into usage in the early 1940s by the post office to relieve just such confusion with the mail. Peru has disappeared from all but the earliest maps. Some of Peru’s or Riverview’s settlers include the Barnes, Bourgees, Boyettes, Brandons, Buzbees, Hackneys, Hancocks, Hartleys, Mansfields, Moodys, Simmons, Scotts, Symmes, Topes, Thompsons, Whitts, and the Yeomans. The area founded by the Boyette family is now the community of Boyette, located in the eastern part of Riverview.