Hyde Park is one of the oldest historical neighborhoods in Tampa Bay. A popular community in South Tampa. It includes parts of Bayshore Boulevard, Hyde Park Village and SoHo. The ZIP code for the district is 33606, and is routinely one of the most expensive zip codes in Tampa Bay.
The neighborhood includes historic homes and bungalows as well as Townhouses and Condominiums. Its proximity to Downtown Tampa, shopping, restaurants, and Bayshore Boulevard has made it on of the most desirable residential neighborhoods in South Tampa.
Its history dates back in the 1880s when railroad financier Henry B. Plant built the first bridge across the Hillsborough River at Lafayette Street (now John F. Kennedy Blvd.) The first house in the neighborhood was built by James Watrous in 1882 at 1307 Morrison Ave. Growth occurred rapidly and a street car line was put in on Swann Ave and Rome Ave. This is the reason for the wideness of the two streets, while most in the neighborhood are much narrower. The area where Old Hyde Park Village is today was originally called Cork Ave. Dakota Ave., Cork Ave., and Inman Ave. all intersected near where the British pay phone sits today. The only portion left of Cork Ave is called Snow Ave today.
Bungalows are the narrow, rectangular one and one-half story houses originated in California during the 1880s as a reaction to the elaborate decoration of Victorian homes. The style then moved eastward to the Midwest in the early 20th century, where it remained popular until the Great Depression. They have low-pitched gabled or hipped roofs and small covered porches at the entry. The style became so popular that you could order a bungalow kit from Sears and Roebuck catalog. The name “bungalow” had its origins in India, where it indicated a small, thatched home.
Hyde Park Village is an upscale shopping district located among several city and residential blocks. The approximate center is at the intersection of Swann and Rome Avenues just a few blocks east of SoHo.